Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Beginning

I've never really understood blogging. To be honest, I've never really enjoyed writing. At different points in my life I've attempted to keep a journal with only moderate success. When Sean and I got the prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome, I started keeping a journal about the process of acceptance, but again, it didn't last very long. Now that beautiful red leather book sits idly on my headboard. So in light of this, why am I starting a blog?

A few days ago I was listening to NPR on my way home from work. There was a man on there (I don't remember his name) who was a psychologist (I think). I've tried to find the segment online, but have been unsuccessful. The topic of the interview was a study about self-disclosure and it's impact on mental health. Somewhat to my surprise, the study showed that individuals who talked about themselves reported feeling happier than those that didn't. To be clear, I believe the study was performed only on people speaking, but the psychologist did liken such self-disclosure to what people do on Facebook and in blogs. So I thought, why not? I'll give it a try.

The thing is, my boy Max is the love of my life (so is his daddy!), and he has Down syndrome. Despite all the heartache and despair that followed the initial prenatal diagnosis, I truly couldn't have asked for a more perfect son. Those of you who know him know what I mean. But, things that are out of the ordinary are difficult sometimes. Maybe this blog will help me with that.

Enjoy.

2 comments: