Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

What Max Knows...

"So is Max excited about being a big brother?"

You know how many times I've been asked that since we announced we're pregnant? I can't possibly count, and my response is always the same,

"I don't think he really knows."

A lot of that is because he doesn't talk, so it's hard to get a good feel for what he knows and what he doesn't. However, to be honest, if he could talk I'm not sure he could say just what it is that's about to happen, or why Mommy's belly makes her lap so small, or why carrying him up the stairs has become so difficult. But for the last few days he's been trying to tell me...something.

Something's up. Max can feel it. He knows his world is about to change and he's letting us know what he thinks about it. Recently we've been treated to napless afternoons, super-nuclear temper tantrums, and endless supplies of energy. "Feisty" and "spit-fire" don't quite do it justice. It's hyperactivity with a capital H.

Most of his efforts are directed at me; Daddy seems to be able to quell the savage beast. But then, I'm the reason for the inevitable change, aren't I? I wonder what it is he senses. Does he realize my belly is rounder than typical? Can he smell a change in hormones? Is he simply responding to my lack of energy?

Who knows, really. And I guess it doesn't matter. And I should be thankful the beast didn't rear it's head until I passed my due date a week ago. And, now that I'm thinking about it, I find his behavior rather interesting. In some ways it mirrors my feeling about these last few days of Max's life as an only child. I have little fantasies of spending beautiful mornings with him at the park and creating  lasting memories that we both can share. But then I realize there is no way on this planet I can take my 30-lb toddler to the park by myself at 9+ months pregnant. I can barely make it up the stairs!

So today I took advantage of an opportunity. My mom took us for ice cream. While Max and I waited for Grammy to come back with our scrumptious cup of chocolate peanut butter Heaven we sat in the sun and sang songs. Max gave me lots of wet kisses and cuddly hugs, and now I have a wonderful memory of him in the last days as my only son.

My only son...




He's gonna be a wonderful big brother.

2 comments: