Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

Lots of Little Buddies


The Buddy Walk was last, last weekend. There are three of them in Massachusetts, but the one we did is a three-mile walk around Lake Quannapowitt in a really cute town about an hour from us called Wakefield, MA. It’s hosted by the Massachusetts Down Syndrome Congress, and according to them, this year was the largest ever topping out at 3500 walkers. Wow!

Confession: I didn’t fundraise very well this year. Chalk it up to the new baby and extreme sleep deprivation. Next year I’ll be better. I have daydreams of leading a team of, I don’t know, 20 or more and raising thousands of dollars. Some people actually do it. Someday.


And they're off!
Peek-a-boo
Little brother's first Buddy Walk.
Little brother gets a kiss.
Max and Signing Time's Rachel Coleman.
Finally, three years into this journey I feel like a part of things. I no longer feel like an outsider trying to fit in, trying to come to terms with a future that, though beautiful and bright, I didn’t choose. I no longer feel like I’m playing catch-up along a never-ending learning curve. I’m now confident enough to offer support to families who are new to all of this. It’s exciting and empowering and gives me that sense of control that I hate to admit makes me feel more comfortable.

In fact, thanks to my new friend, Tiffany, and her beautiful baby, Xavier, I, or I should say we have turned the little, informal playgroup that Max and I have been a part of into an official, formal support group. It’s awesome!! Saturday was our first official gathering, and it was everything I hoped it would be. We’ll be meeting again in two weeks and attempt to continue the every-other-week schedule. The MDSC even wants to include our info on their official support group list. Neat!

Most of the Franklin Area Trisomy 21 Club
Well, I wanted to spend more time and energy on this post but we are sleep-training Chance this week. He’s upstairs right now screaming, my heart is pounding, and I’m a millimeter away from rescuing him from his agony and undoing all the progress we’ve made. Needless to say, I’m distracted, so before I start meandering I’ll sign off.

Take care my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment